Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whom the Lord calls, he qualifies

Hola Familia!
Como estan? Hows life? Everything is great here. I cannot believe I leave from the MTC in about 13 days. It's crazy! I love it here but I am so excited to get out and serve. I know my spanish is not ready however, nor do I think it ever will be until I get out there and I am speaking it everyday. I also know that I have so much still to learn! We do not have enough time in the day for me to study everything that I want to study.
Well, we do about the same thing every week so for me it's all just repetition when I'm trying to think what to write. Sunday was a pretty eventful day however. So every Sunday we are all supposed to plan a 5 minute talk on whatever the topic is. In spanish mind you, so this is not exactly an easy task. I always do it however because the branch president just calls up whoever he feels should talk that day. This week there was a ton of elders leaving for the field so I was almost positive that it would not be anyone from our district. Guess who gets called up, yep, me. The talk was about repentance and I copied a lot out of PMG, but most of it I tried to do it by myself. So the grammer probably wasn't perfect nor was my pronunciation, but I was greatful and humbled to be called up. After the meeting the branch president pulled me aside and I thought that he was just going to tell me I had done a good job, which he did, but then he extended the calling of coordinating sister to me for the last 2 weeks. So a talk and a calling all in the same day. I am greatful for the opportunity to be the coordinating sister because I think it will help me grow, even if it is only for a couple weeks. I can already see how it has changed me in that I really make sure that my attitude is positive and that I am being kind to everyone.
We also got to watch the dedication of the Brigham city temple on sunday. I really enjoyed it and loved hearing from the apostles, Elder Perry and President Packer. You could really see their love for temple work as they spoke to all of us.
One of our "investigators" , Camilla we have been teaching for quite some time now. She's a 15 year old and she loves the gospel and learning about it. She loves going to church with us and young womens, but we cannot get her to be baptized. We have asked several times but she keeps saying her mom doesn't want her to because her mom doesn't want her to make a decision she will regret, so we don't really know what to say but to have her talk to her which she is to afraid to do. We just keep praying for her hoping that she will get the strength to tell her mom how important this is for her. I love that we get to teach these fake investigators because I know it is helping me a lot. I can come to realize what works best in a lesson and what doesn't.
This week we have been learning about, "teach people not lessons," and it is actually a lot harder than it sounds. Back in the day you just had to memorize the lesson and you were good to go. These days we have to tailor make every single one of our lessons to our investigators which is great because I think it is a lot more effective, but it becomes difficult when we really don't know much about the person. Something we talk about a lot is the importance of the members in a conversion of an investigator. They really are the ones who make all the difference and I would encourage all of you to take that to heart and really try to do your own personal missionary work.
On monday we got to help the senior missionary couples come in. We just helped bring their bags up and brought them to their orientation, but it was so great to talk to all of them. We love the senior missionaries, they really bring a different spirit  to the MTC.
Well, not much more going on here. I had a mini panick attack the other day because I don't know if I'm ready to get out there and speak spanish all the time. It's going to be a bit frustrating for the first few months. Most people I have talked to have said that they finally felt comfortable with the spanish after about 5 months, so that means I only have 3 more to go ;) I'm sure it will come in time. A part of me wants my trainer to only speak in spanish and I'll probably cry myself to sleep everynight because I can't speak with her, but hey I'll learn the language faster. The other part of me wants her to only speak in spanish some of the times, but then I don't learn spanish as quickly, so its a bitter sweet thing.
Anyways, sorry for the uneventful letter. I'm not feeling so hot today so I'm a little bit scatter brained and tired. I love you all and Miss you MUCHO! Take care and remember who you are and what you stand for ;)
Love, Hermana Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment